I love October. It's crisp and colorful, clear, and wonderful!! Don't know why, really, but I do have one memory in particular of a Saturday in October a long time ago: I was living in State College after graduation, and it was a home game. Campus and downtown were deserted. The sky was blue and the leaves were absolutely ablaze with the colors of fall. The only sounds I could here were an occasion crow and the distant cheers from Beaver Stadium. It was unspeakably awesome.
I get the same feeling when I paddle in late October here. Summer and the recreational season have come to a close, but the lake is surrounded by such brilliant color this year. Ironically, when the drought is bad, the leaves really come to life. I know that there's a simple scientific reason for that, but I can't remember what it is. Anyway, it's peaceful, and it's beautiful, and I feel like I'm in a cathedral.
Not a whole lot of other kayaks around when I put my boat on the water this time of year. The water is actually still somewhat warm, but the air has a definite chill. Still, I don't overdress, because I know I'll warm up as soon as my muscles get going. Lots to decompress about right now; work is more challenging that I want it to be, and my boss is a little bit of a bully. But hey, that's my problem!
The open house at the club on Saturday was something less than I'd hoped. I was a little bit disappointed, but I know it was because the air temp was 50 degrees, and most people here associate lake sport with much warmer weather. I was glad that the sprint team was able to enjoy themselves with the boards though!!
At any rate, time to head out into the day. So glad that it's going to be nearly 80 degrees today. Hoping that I can squeeze in a paddle after work and before karate tonight. Knowing how awesome it makes me feel, I bet I FIND time.
see you out there!
TKM
No comments:
Post a Comment