Saturday, October 13, 2012

I see you looking over here!

You can always tell if they're interested. They make that long glance, slow down a little. And often, they'll turn around and walk past you again with that same stare.

No, this isn't a singles club or a cattle auction. It's talking about canoe, kayak and SUP at the neighborhood festival.  And I'm doing it all weekend.

A lot of non-profits represent at this festival. For a lot of us, it's the only place where we get face time with the exact people that we need to meet. I really, really enjoy speaking with people about the sport and the club. We've changed it up a little this year, though. It's always been about kids, summer camp,and building the sprint program from the ground up. We've realized, though, that if we want true community involvement we really need to offer something that appeals to them.

I personally am making a commitment to building the senior presence around the club, I think it's the best sport in the world for seniors for so many reasons! This winter I pledge to visit group around the country, and I am starting a group called "kayaks and coffee" next year, which will be a little kayaking, and little bit of social hour. Also, we rolled out the para canoe aspirations yesterday. Only a little bit of response, which I was a little bummed out about. But we're having an SUP open house next Saturday, and the interest there is HUGE.

I'm so excited that we're moving in this direction! This lake is so beautiful, and everyone should find a way to experience it. Maybe this is yours!

So, I'm back out onto the square in downtown Gainesville. If you see me there, say hi and listen to what I have to say. It you're not around, well, check in later. I'll be here. Now...it's a beautiful day. Get outside!!

TKM

No comments:

Post a Comment