Yesterday I spent 10 hours extolling the virtues of paddling to about 10 million different people. There are so many possibilities out there for this club!
We've got this big blue SUP board standing out in front of the booth. There's no way you can miss it! May, many people are really excited at the thought of SUP coming to Lanier. A friend with the club and I have planned a come-try-it event for next weekend, and I actually contacted him yesterday about halfway through to tell him he may want to double the amount of boards they're bringing! This is really getting exciting.
Honestly, though, the other end of it is more important to me.
I spoke with lots of senior citizens yesterday, and handed out a lot of business cards. I've made a pledge to go out and talk with senior groups and others weekly this off-season, and promote things such as my "Kayaks and Coffee" program coming next late spring. The feedback is telling me that this program is exactly what seniors want: a little bit of exercise, a little bit or social hour, and some coffee and something that probably shouldn't be donuts.
We talked about stiff joints, knees that need replacing and won't bend, and how these things only matter for about five minutes. I am always there to help the older kids into the boats. I've had my hand in places I don't necessarily want to think about. But hey, it's all in the name of paddling, so it's okay. But here's the thing: once you're in the boat, it's like you're eight. The wonderment, the awe, the feeling of freedom..it's all the same.
The kayak is truly the great equalizer. How cool is that?
So, on I go for 5 more hours. Yes!!
TKM
No comments:
Post a Comment