What a great day to be alive and paddling!! It's such a glorious morning here. As I sit down I'm looking at the clock and I see that I have karate in an hour, but I need to talk about this morning.
Saw my friend Jim and his friend Mike as I was walking into the boathouse to grab my boat today. They're both really hardcore; they'll probably do 10k this morning and then go for a run. I do my little 5k and I'm done. As I passed Jim I made a comment about how I was warming up for karate and that I was paddling for clarity.
Wow. Light bulb moment for me!! I've talked before about how my best thinking comes when I'm paddling on the water, and today I came to the realization that I really do just do it for clarity and mental relaxation. Up until this morning, I guess I felt that maybe I wasn't as good as the other masters because I don't do all of the tough workouts and I'm not as fast.
But, hey!! I get what I need from paddling, and that's okay with me! We all get something different. I realize that I am really fortunate to have found this, and that I really enjoy teaching others, and it makes me feel healthy inside and out.
The best thing about today? As I was leaving I ran into a bunch of Special Olympians who were coming out to play around in boats. Spoke with the "man in charge," and as it happens they don't have a coach for the spring. So, I told them I would love to help! This fits in really, really well with what I want to do with the rest of my life.
YES!! Sometimes wonderful accidents happen.
Stay tuned.
TKM
No comments:
Post a Comment