Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Ten REALLY good reasons you should learn to paddle!!

Since I began paddling 7 years ago, I can honestly say I am in the best shape of my life. I consider myself somewhat of a "born-again athlete," if you will. Yeah, I wake up kinda stiff in the joints, but it goes away. The benefits really outweigh a little bit of discomfort.

That is so important.

So.  Why should YOU paddle? Well...
1. Got bad knees? Your kayak doesn't care. This is about as no-impact as a sport can be. For real!

2. Paddling is a mood-enhancer, de-stresser, all-around feel good activity. You can have a really crappy day at work, go get in your boat and paddle for an hour or so, and it all just washes away...

3. You can meet some really cool people!  Here on Lake Lanier I've met so many people from around the U.S. and the world. As an instructor, I've had a really diverse group come through the class. I have so many different friends around here now, and it's just awesome! And, if you can become associated with a kayak club you will have a whole new way to volunteer as well as a full social calendar.

4. Once you get off of the water, you want to eat healthy the rest of the day!

5. You can cheat on your diet without worry occasionally, because you'll burn it off paddling!

6. Paddling is a life-long sport. Look around the globe and see older folks who live longer because they exercise!!

7. Paddling is a great family activity!! Very young children can go out on the water with their parents. What a great way to observe nature as a family while learning a healthy respect for the water! Word of advice: Teach your kids to be comfortable in a pfd (personal flotation device) early on in their lives and they are more likely to use them later on.

8. It's a great way to observe nature without intruding upon it. There is a nest of bald eagles near our club here and they are so awesome to watch!! It's fun to have a staring contest with a crane or race a fish. Don't put too much pressure on yourself . You probably won't win. But you'll get over it.

9. Get that vitamin D from the sun!  Always, always wear sunscreen, eye protection, and even a ballcap to provide protection. Even with it's cloudy, the rays reflecting off of the water can burn you good.  Still, you need the sun to be healthy, and you can still get a little bit of healthy-looking color.

10. Step out of your comfort zone!  Putting yourself into a kayak, especially one that's just a little "tippy," can really make you feel great about yourself! You might get hooked, or you might just have a new profile picture. Either way, trying new stuff makes life so much more interesting!

Okay, so I've got more. Seriously, guys, life-changing is really not too strong a word. Whether you're an under 10 or an over 10, this sport can bring things to your life that are beyond description. So, think about it. Or, you can just let me wear you down. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment