For the most part, I'm a morning person. I guess I figure that since we only get so many days, I want to make the most of each of mine. That's why when I have a day off, I like to get out on the water early...I like the solitude and the feeling that it's my lake for that moment in time.
When I got to the boathouse this morning, there was a group of mainly under-10's loading into a van and heading back to their club in Oklahoma City. That's a long drive from here, about 15 hours. I know, I've done it before. I let them get on their way before I got my boat out and sat it down on the dock so I could begin my stretching.
The water was like glass. I don't say that just to say that it was flat, which it was. But it was shiny and clear, and I could see some big fish and a turtle swimming right off of the dock. It gets so hot here later in the day, but in the morning all of the creatures make themselves known. It's a whole other world on the other side of the water, and that's the best time to get acquainted.
Before too long, I hopped into my little white boat and took off. I decided to go up the course side, past the Olympic tower and up past the bend in the river. I figured I would go maybe 8k this morning. Make it worthwhile. I passed a really big bunch of geese (forgive me, is that a gaggle?) right as I reached the finish line marker. I'm never really sure whether I can trust the geese. They're a little territorial, and can be mean. As I made my way past the geese convention, I picked up the pace. Didn't want to get taken out by a goose with an agenda. Paddling up past the docks, I encountered some ducks. Ducks are so much more laid back I think. I knew it would be safe to fall into my breathing/counting/stamina-building stroke without fear.
This is the time when I do some of my best thinking. When my body and mind are in rythym I can problem solve, and I can communicate with my creative self. It's a nice place to be. I think a lot about how lucky I am to be where I am right at that second. On the water, in the middle of all of this expansive beauty. And I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to get somebody to pay me to do what I really want to do with the rest of my life: Bringing the sport of kayaking to people of all ages, and giving them the tools to be healthy and active to a ripe old age.
Anyhoo, by the time I got back to the boathouse, I was feeling pretty good. Very relaxed, limber, and healthy. Little stiff, but that's the over -10 thing. I know I'll walk it off. I'm on a mission.
And, I've got karate tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment