Saturday, June 30, 2012

setbacks, and stuff.

I've really been quite fortunate over the years with my health, especially considering how much overweight I had been for much of my adult life. There was the blood pressure scare, and a detached retina maybe 5 years ago, but I think that's about it. I've been a member of the over-10's for quite some time now, so I guess it's natural that I'm going to have an occasional issue.

Thing is, I don't want to. I've written before about the pressure to perform that exists when you're in a class or on a team with a bunch of younger people. Up until a couple of weeks ago, I felt ageless. At the end of class one day BSM Chisholm had us do a relay race, which we'd done before. By the end of that race, I felt a pain in my calf muscle. WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? Yeah, I'm a proud Yankee girl and that's pretty much how I talk to myself. Anyway, I pulled a muscle. Went home, iced it, took Advil, and it was fine.

One week later, after a half hour of warm-ups and stretching, she has us skipping and it happened again. Who gets a skipping injury?? CRAP. I guess it's officially a nagging injury. So, I'm in a treatment plan of stretching, icing, Advil. My instructors have told me to wrap it for class. Huh? I have never wrapped anything in my life besides a gift. I've actually had to google that.

Whatever I have to do though, I will do it. I am NOT going to give in to this little setback. Life is just so much more fun when I'm active. You just have to get to a point where you ask yourself if you want to give up, or if you want to put in the work. This doesn't just apply to a little calf muscle thing, but to everything in your life. It really is all in your power, for the most part. Things happen, but it's how you choose to react that will dictate the quality of your life. At any age.

Okay, lecture over. Wish my luck this morning as I go for my orange belt....

No comments:

Post a Comment