As you know, I teach Lanier's Adult Learn to Kayak class. I really enjoy doing it, because it not only gets me out on the water, I get paid to do something I really love, and I get to bring new people to the sport. Had a new student, Jill, out on the water last evening. I think we really made an impression.
The class is four sessions, and I typically spend the first one teaching technique to the student while they are in one of the big, heavy recreational kayaks which are really hard to steer. Once in a while I can get them into a trainer at the end of that class. Jill is definitely ahead of the curve!
After we paddled to the end of the boathouse side and back (about 2k) I told her she looked good and I thought she was ready for the trainer. We got it out, I did the old flipping demo so she knew how to recover herself and the boat, and she was off. She did great! Seems to have no trouble with balance, and really making an effort to lean forward and "spear the fish." That's a term I use so that people can visualize exactly what I want them to do with the paddle. Reach out, stab the water next to the boat, pull it back to the hip, and out. For me it's kind of a big deal when they get it right away! Took her around to the cove adjacent to the boathouse and we started working on using the legs for power and propulsion.
Many people think that the secret to paddling is all in the arms. No, no, no! If you use your upper body only, you'll get really tired fast. The key is to use your core, like so many other activities. Learning to use the correct "twist" will provide you with a much more efficient stroke and also will help with balance as you get into tippier boats.
Anyway, she loved the trainer. It's so much lighter than the rec boats, you can go a lot faster, and you can actually steer it!! Next session is Monday evening, and we're taking out the trainer. Gonna head up the course side and go until she says she's ready to turn around. Fun stuff!!
This course is an introduction to flatwater kayaking, and our hope is always that the students will stick around and join up with one of the other programs. Jill's 23 and new to the area. I think it would be a good fit. And she said it was really cool....
I think I may have hooked this one. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment