On my way over to the boathouse this morning, I heard another person drowned in Lake Lanier yesterday. It's hard to believe something that I love so much can be such a horrible thing for other people.
It doesn't have to be that way, guys.
When I was coaching middle school teams, flipping the boat and recovering it was something we had to cover within the first 30 minutes of the first practice. I really believe that many people drown not so much because they can't swim well, but because they panic. When you flip, or fall off a dock into the lake, whatever, you need be able to wrap your mind around the situation so that you can get out of it. Survival is as much mental as it is physical.
There is always one kid who flips and doesn't recover the boat quickly, so we have to dive in and save the boat, and the kid. These kids are usually around 10 years old, and it didn't occur to me right away that this moment is HUGE. These are the kids that you MUST get back into the boat that day, or they may turn into adults who have a fear of water.
Adults can be the same way. We often take new folks out in the Kirton Commander k-4. This is a big, heavy, stable boat. This doesn't mean it can't be flipped. And if it flips just right, you can be underneath it under water. At that point, you can panic, or you can say "I'm under this boat, I'm underwater. I need to grab ahold of it and push it in the opposite direction that I swim." That's a big deal. If you are panicking, that might not happen.
So what am I really saying?
Parents, teach your kids to swim. You may not like water, but this is one of the biggest gifts you can give your child. You never know where it will come into play in their lives. And, it can open their lives to so many great experiences. And adults, it's never, ever too late. Find a program and learn to swim.
Then, I'll see you on the lake.
TKM
No comments:
Post a Comment