Friday, August 3, 2012

cheering for Tim, and his mom..

I enjoy the Olympics, always have. Being involved in the sport of sprint kayak has really given me a new perspective, and frankly, a new respect for the process.  An Olympian is not made overnight. Not even close.

I first met Tim Hornsby and his mom Patti almost ten years ago.  Our family was new to the club, and although he was still a teenager, Tim was one of the elder statesmen at the club. My son thought he was pretty cool, a beach bum kind of guy. Good with the chicks, fast on the water, and the kind of kid that all moms want their sons to be. Tim had actually joined LCKC some years ago after meeting a representative at a boat show in Atlanta and was one of the first members. His mom brought him all the way up to Gainesville for practice many times each week. I can't imagine the dedication it took on her part; we live five minutes from the club, and I remember grumbling about it more than once at 5 in the morning. Wow.

I got to know Patti during the first trip the club took to Lake Placid, probably 7 years ago. Junior and Senior World Team trials were that week, so many of the parents were there to cheer on their kids. It was a big deal for many of them...Steven was a non-contender at that point. I remember in a cafe in Lake Placid with Patti and another mom Deb, whose son did not make the team. Deb was sobbing, and Patti was comforting her. I know now that I was just along for the ride then. I was in the infant stages of the relationship that one has when your child commits to a sport long-term. As we sipped our chai tea lattes, Patti told us about how she was so proud of her son for working through the problems he had initially. I remember especially that he would sprint 500 meters and then throw up in the lake because his acid reflux was so bad. We all bonded over how the boys could make one pair of spandex go a week without washing them. Lake stink, sweat, goose poop. What a combination!!  When I left the cafe that day, I felt like I had become one of them.

Didn't really get to know Tim during that trip, that came later on over the years. But I can tell you that Tim always flashed that great smile and gave a hug, and more importantly, something encouraging to say about Steven. In fact, after Steven dropped out and left for Penn State, Tim was the first one to ask me how "Stevie" was doing. Those things mean a lot.

Olympians are special athletes. Sure talent matters, but the "want to" has to be big. Massive. It's such a long time between when you first sit in that boat, trying not to flip it, and when you line up for your country. So many who have that Olympic Dream fall short. And Tim is a special athlete, and just a good kid. I am proud to know him, and feel blessed to have experienced the relationship he has with his mom Patti.

I am cheering most enthusiastically for you both as Tim lines up for his 200m sprints and represents our country.  Well done, Mom.

TKM

No comments:

Post a Comment