Well, a long time before I ever thought about being thekayakmom, I was just "Mom." As my son prepares to leave to go back to school again, I have those mixed feelings that so many moms get as their little boys grow up into being young men.
For the first eleven years of his life, it was just Steven and me. We lived in Pittsburgh, and I think I can take a little bit of credit for the sports fanatic that he has become. We went to Steelers games, we went to PNC Park to see the Pirates play; they usually lost. He got to see Mario Lemieux play at the Civic Arena when he made the ultimate comeback after buying and saving the franchise. I watched him play football, and worried with all of the other moms about how he could get hurt.
Eventually we moved down here and he got a step-dad. That part of it hasn't always been easy, but the bond between he and I has remained really strong. We've gone to sporting events together here, but when he chose a school he wanted to go back to Penn State.
He's on the 4.5-5 year plan with a double-major. I didn't really expect him to be home this summer, but with the late addition of the second major, he didn't really see the internship happening. Selfishly, I was really glad to have him here with Mom for one more summer. I can see the changes, and I am so proud of him. We both know that he's kind of a Momma's boy, but I guess that happens when it's just the two of you for so long.
He's leaving Sunday, taking his new car and his bird back up there with him. I'm off next week, and I'll spend a lot of time on the water just thinking about how wonderful it is to be his mom and how much I cherish time with him. I am so proud of him. I tell him, maybe ad nauseum. Lol.
Be safe babe. I love you.
TKM
No comments:
Post a Comment