I've made no secret in my blog that I'm 50. I have kids, I have worries, I have a few physical issues. But I have learned one thing that has been life-changing for me. Your lot in life really is determined by your attitude. I read "The Secret" when they featured it on Oprah, tried to talk my son into making victory boards? Is that what they were called? I also read every other book that Oprah featured on spirituality, changing your life, blah blah blah. Most of it did not resonate at all; it might just have well have been written in Greek.
These past five, six years really have been a journey for me. And through it all has been a wonderful revelation, an epiphany of sorts. Here it is: You cannot find until you seek. Cannot bring about change if you aren't receptive. And you must be humble on a cellular level. It is a spiritual thing.
I don't have a lot of opportunities to go to church. It's my busiest day at work. My Pastor told me once that worship isn't what you do in the building on Sunday morning, it's much more what you do once you leave it. I have embraced that, and I am happy with myself in that regard. Pastor Andy does come in to see me every couple of weeks, in case I need a tuneup. Lol.
What does this have to do with kayaking? Everything, in my case. My church is when I put that paddle in the water and push off the dock. My church is when I hear nothing but water and my own breathing. It's when I experience the awesome power of everything I have been given out there on the lake on any particular morning. I have found that when I am reduced to that level out there on the water, I am free to think with clarity, dream large, and plan for my life.
I've got big plans, still. I'm excited to say that I've drawn a road map, and am officially at the beginning of my journey now. More details to follow on that.
Find a kayak, and be forever changed. I was.
TKM
No comments:
Post a Comment