I often wake up early and make those first few steps out of bed feeling really stiff and not really feeling the exercise groove. The knees are stiff, I may or may not have gotten a good night's sleep. That sort of thing. But never has there been a day when I have regretted exercising after the fact.
Never.
The lake in the morning is so beautiful. This is such a beautiful time of year. There is definitely a chill in the air, but the water is still quite warm. I know in a couple of weeks we'll be seeing some fog in the mornings. Sometimes it has the feel of a cathedral, the awesomeness and power of physical beauty is so intense. And today it was all mine.
My time in karate has definitely taught me the value of a good stretch routine. When I paddle I definitely stretch everything out. That enables me to get in the boat and take off, whereas if I don't, my back muscles are tired and feel tangled after a kilometer or two. After my stretching, I hit the water.
Lots of wildlife to see today. The grey herons were out in full force. One of them was perched atop a tree in the lake, and I wished I had a camera with me. I noticed as I paddled by that someone had stuck a pink piece of gum on the tree as well, which reminded me that as beautiful and remote as this spot feels sometimes, it most certainly is not untouched by the human hand. I called out to the bird in my poor imitation of his call. He just flew away. Well, I thought so anyway.
My paddle took me under the bridge and back into the cove at the river's bend. The lake has really dropped this summer, and there a lot more trees sticking out of the water now. A lot more reasons not to get lost in thought as I find it so easy to do out there. I made my paddle around the island and began the paddle back to the boathouse. A breeze kicked in just as I rounded the island; it feel really good. I felt alone out there, in a good way. This is the time when I talk things out with myself. Out loud. It occurs to me once in a while that I might look like a nut job out there chirping to myself. As always, I don't care.
We all need someplace we can go to find peace, and clarity. This is my place. I have the best ideas on the lake in the morning, where I can get away unencumbered by stuff at home or issues on the job. As I combed the surface for trees on the way bank, I realized again how glad I was that this is mine. No time to wax poetic, however, because right in front of me my friend the grey heron was gliding toward me and it didn't look like he planned to stop. Was he fishing? Was he simply playing chicken with the lady in the kayak? I knew that I would need to take evasive action (flip) if he didn't pull up soon.....he did. Phew.
Touche, Mr. Grey Heron.
For now, enjoy your space. And it it's out on the lake in the water, I'll see you there. But if I'm talking to myself, well, you know the deal.
TKM
No comments:
Post a Comment