Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Today I let the geese convince me to turn around. They won't be so lucky next time.

What a perfect morning for a paddle on Lake Sidney Lanier.  It's overcast, and apparently there is bigtime rain on the way later today and the rest of the week, but the conditions this morning are ideal on the water.

I've really been looking forward to getting out there this morning. I'm really an advocate for the stress relief aspect of kayaking. Work's been tough lately, and we just found out that my husband has a big tumor on his tibia and who knows?

So, I left the dock hopeful for some sort of relief. It's unbelievable, you know, how quickly the calm sets in.
I was probably 5 strokes off of the dock and already I felt better. The water is flat as a pancake, and it's the time of the year that if I decide to go for a swim, the lake is perfect. And so I set off, paddling and breathing, breathing and paddling, stretching and calming down by the stroke.

My karate training has made it possible for me to have a much more productive stroke, which is nice. Before I knew it, I was halfway up the course and settling in for a long one.

And then, like the little Hellians that they are, about a million geese decide they want to block my path. You know, geese and I just don't like each other so much. They yell at me, I
yell at them. I tell them to leave, they don't listen. I've even asked the Canadian Olympic team to pack them up onto their trailer and take them back.

Seems the Canadians don't want them either. Ugh. But here I am in the moment; do I paddle through? Or do I turn around and give a victory do these "birds without a country?"

Okay, so I turned around. I've paddled about 4 kilometers, I feel good, so I still feel like I win. As I pulled my boat off the water, I was able to notice I felt so much more clear than I did when I arrived at the boathouse.. Not gonna lets stupid birds take that away from me.

But next time? Maybe I'll just paddle through, maybe a punch in the beak, who knows. But geesies, consider yourselves warned.

TKM

No comments:

Post a Comment