I don't do well with stress.
Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of it nowadays, so I'm using what I have to deal with it without it taking a toll on my body and my mind. Paddling is certainly at the top of the list.
It's quiet here this week. The dogs are on vacation, and my husband has moved my office to the back of the house, so that as I'm working or writing, I can look up and out of the window off of the balcony and into the beautiful trees. I like it. I was able to get out on the water this morning after almost a week and it was wonderful. As I set out off of the docks, I had to pick my way through upwards of 25 kids who were in full capsize mode in their canoes and daggers. It made me smile as I thought for a moment about back when my son used to just splash around in the lake so carefree. The good news with that is that he's so so well now! We spent some time with him over the weekend at Penn State, and decided to leave his dog up there for the rest of the summer with him. I'm feeling good about where he is. Also, he'll be coming home for a couple of weeks next month, which means that we'll be able to hang out some and paddle together. I can't wait for that!
It's really hot out on the lake today. I heard something on the news this morning about a heat wave in the mid-Atlantic states. It's not like that here, that's for sure. It's been cooler and rather rainy so far this summer. But today you can feel the heat bigtime. I take a bottle of water out there with me and sit it in the middle of the hull, but it's not always easy to drink it. If it's choppy I have to wait until I get into a cove, or pull over at a dock. I do put my hand in the water though and rub it on myself a lot. I guess this probably isn't idea for the whole sunscreen thing, but it sure feels good.
I've said before that I do some of my best thinking out on the water. I also talk to myself a lot. I have to be careful about that, because I don't really want anyone to hear me do it. You know, the whole crazy person thing. It helps me empty my mind so that I can come up with new and brilliant things. Today I decided we (the club and me) need to do a teachers' kayak clinic. I won't bore you with the details, but in my experience a lot of teachers are drawn to the sport and it works well with their schedules. Once I speak with my folks at the club and firm things up, I'll be back with details. I think I need a project, especially with my husband and what's going on with him.
So, if you have a chance, get out there. If you don't know how, ask me. Either way, I'll see you on the water.
TKM
No comments:
Post a Comment