Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Another kayaking class, more lives changed forever!We

I often mention to my students that paddling is life-changing. I usually mention this as we're making our way off of the docks for the first time during the first class, and my students nod in skeptical agreement. I know that I'm right, of course, and I always sort of smile to myself knowing that before the next couple of hours are through, they'll know I'm right as well.

This past Saturday was the final session in my most recent Adult Learn To Kayak class. There are six in the group, and four of them had decided to go out in the "trainers," the first level sprint boats. The other two fancied themselves as having no aspirations beyond the rec boats. This is fine with me. Although I strongly encourage my students to go to the very boundaries of their comfort zones and step across, I won't force anyone to do anything that truly frightens them or makes them fear for their safety.

As everyone pushed off, I didn't see any real problems for anyone, except possibly for Gary, who had really long legs. If you're familiar with sprint boats, you know that your balance is compromised if your knees are bent way up into your chest. Knowing that Gary might have a larger challenge than the others, but also knowing that none of the other boats would fit him any better, we set off.

The plan was to paddle around the bend from the boathouse to the venue side, by the finish tower, and up the course. The water was glorious, flat as a pancake, although this did change with the wind once we got around the corner. It probably only took 500 meters for Gary to flip for the first time. Fortunately, we were close to the shore (I coach this as a matter of my survival in this class lol) so we all paddled to the shore and Gary and I did a master class on how you get back into a sprint boat that you've flipped. Before too long, we were off again.

As we paddled toward the tower, we were greeted by an explosion of SUP boards, kayaks, and canoes. It was wonderful, and what I envision for this venue!! In addition to a SUP race, our club was doing a paddle-a-thon to race money for travel and equipment. This meant all of the the athletes and all of the equipment were there at my disposal...bahahaha..

We paddled a kilometer or so up the course before we decided it was time to go back and join the fun. They didn't know it yet, but my number one priority was to get them in the Dusen K-4 with high performance. We got out and put our boats up onto the dock. It was great to see people swarm over to try out our equipment as my guys cycled through third seat in the Dusen. I absolutely LOVE to see the smiles as these folks who before a week ago had never even been in a kayak as they sprint down the course in this wonderful boat!! It makes me happy!! Everyone also got an opportunity to SUP, paddle Dragon Boat, anything they wanted. It was really a good day.

At some point, my students realized they they still had to paddle back to the club. Haha. I think I heard some groans, but as we made our way back to the club, past the beach and the rowing docks, I could hear people talking through their smiles. I knew that as we put up the equipment, people would lament the fact that the class was over, they would ask me how they could join, and I was pretty sure that Gary was completely hooked and would want to join the Masters' program.

I was right.

See you out there!!
TKM

No comments:

Post a Comment