Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Life can be a bear sometimes. Balance is key. I think I've got mine back.

WOW.

As I look back over the last 6 to 8 months, I see why I'm carrying a little extra belly fat nowadays. If I didn't believe that whole stress/belly fat thing before, I sure do now!

But, I digress.

The issues I've had recently with my son and his bouts with anxiety and depression have made me look at myself again. Of course I have the same problems!  I've come to an understanding that my time on the water is like therapy. I've read that you can control these issues with diet and exercise, and if I made a graph of my stress levels when I'm paddling regularly vs when I'm not, I know the stress factor would be way down.

Lightbulb moment!!

The Adult Learn to Kayak class has started for this season. I love seeing the cross section of society that signs up for the class. The first session there was a young married couple who just wanted to work on their general paddling technique for the coming season. They had no interest in sprint, which is what we generally do, and just wanted to paddle around the lake and look at the wildlife. For me this is awesome. I'm getting paid to paddle around, talk to nice people, and watch birds fish?  Yes, please! They were so grateful for my taking them on as students. Haha...they have no idea that they're doing me the favor!

The club has started scheduling the class in 2 3-hour blocks this year. Saturday was the first time I've done 3 hours straight on the water with students. I was a little concerned because three hours can be a long time out there, especially when the sun is high and the bass boats are out in full strength. But it was great! I had 6 students this time around, and they're great. We started out in the rec boats for a couple of km's and then I brought them back for trainer time. The trainers are the basic level sprint boats. Wide across the hull, with a generous cockpit. Generous enough for middle age bodies, lol. Four of my folks tried them, and I think we had one flip. It was great!  I think they each plan to paddle them when we take our "long paddle" during the next class.

Once we finished up with the trainers, we got out the SUP boards. This is new for Lanier Canoe and Kayak. I'm glad they've finally gotten involved with this. It really is the wave of the future, and we need to have a SUP club in the building. I've actually started doing this myself. It's fun!! All of my students tried it and loved it. Definitely going to be a little more of that.

You know, as I look back across what I've written, it looks rather disjointed and fragmented. But I think it represents how they past months have been for me. I've learned I'm at my best when I'm on the water, and that I truly am happy and blessed to have the opportunity to introduce others to something which has been life changing for me.

I can't wait to see what the summer brings.

TKM


No comments:

Post a Comment