Okay, it's been a couple of days. Things are crazy around here!! We've had two classes since my last post, so lots to catch up on.
Team boat night started out as expected. The water was a little choppy on the boathouse side Tuesday night, so I was glad to be getting out the big orange k-2's for the first half of class. Every time we have to lug those big old thing down to the docks, I ask myself why we don't yet have some sort of boat dolly or something to carry these down. Honestly, they're a little heavy for seniors. This has got to be a priority moving forward, as the program evolves into one where I actively seek out adults and para-athletes. It really needs to be user friendly, which would include a ladder for climbing out of the lake should that become necessary.
Ah, but where was I? Okay. So, we partner up and head out for our paddle. I'm thinking at least it won't be too long since we have a commitment from the Masters group for some k-4 time later on. As we push off of the dock, I remember how much I dislike these boats. They're really, really heavy, and they don't steer well. For me the biggest issue is the width. They are so wide that I have to change the way I am bringing my paddle down into the water, and it makes my shoulders feel tired. My group is such a positive group, though, and before we know it we are out at the island. Time to take five and enjoy the shade as we dangle our feet into the water. As hot as it was that day, the water felt relatively cool. It was nice.
On the way back to the boathouse, everyone was really excited about the k-4. I have probably mentioned before that the k-4 is my favorite. It is also my favorite recruiting tool, because it allows me to show the potential. After a bit, we got back to the boathouse and put those boats away.
Hmm. No Masters.
As it turns out, the Masters team lost track of time out on the water, so we took the opportunity to bring out the k-1's again and let everyone do what they wanted to do: Just spend more time on the water. I'm proud of this group. They've been up for everything!!
TKM
No comments:
Post a Comment