Saturday, July 7, 2012

Just breathe....

I got off the water this morning as the masters group (LCKC's over-10's) was bringing their boats down onto the dock. They were off to do time trials, and asked me to come along. I declined, not because I don't want to see how fast I can go, but I'd already accomplished what I'd set out to do this morning.

Saturday mornings are wonderful. I like to get out on the water early, by maybe 7:30. I have the place to myself pretty much, because the bass boats and jet ski's and the like have to get through their "honey do" lists before they have permission to go out and play. The water was, and usually is at this time, like a sheet of glass. These are the times that I just go out and breathe.

I'm 50, and having been significantly overweight for such a long time, I've got stiff joints. My shoulders are not exempt from this, so when I paddle I can feel them for sure.  In karate, my instructor talks a lot about the importance of breathing correctly. She tells us to picture a baby sleeping, and notice how the stomach goes up and down. Expanding. This is how we are meant to breathe, and we often train ourselves to breathe incorrectly.

Paddling on a flat lake, by myself, in the morning, gives me the opportunity to breathe through my paddling. Let me tell you what I mean. Breathing in through my nose, I count up to four as I paddle, then breathe out through my nose as I count up to four again. I am expanding my diaphragm as I work, and increasing my ability to breathe deeply.

Here's the bonus: I focus on the counting and the breathing, and I have found that I can paddle much further without stopping because my shoulders are uncomfortable. This is a breakthrough!! I love it when I come in off the lake and I feel as though I have been enlightened.

Just breathing, coupled with focusing, can lead to enlightenment. It really is that easy.

TKM

No comments:

Post a Comment