I feel a little bit like I need to explain my absence. Well, I am a Penn State Alum, and had the opportunity to get back into town for a long weekend. The Penn State family has been through a lot lately, as you may know. I say that to say this: It was a very emotionally raw weekend, but sometimes those are the times during which you can emerge with clarity. And I believe I have.
As you may know, I started out as the mom of a sprint kayaker. I worked my way through club positions, officiating, and middle school coach, until finally I landed where I believe I should be: Teaching adults of any age that they can learn how to paddle and how they can use it to improve the quality of their lives. I was recently asked if I would like to be the club's contact for paracanoe. At the time I wasn't really sure what it was, so I basically said "uh, ok."
But, holy cow, it's so cool! Paracanoe is what it sounds like it would be. Canoe or kayak for a person with a physical challenge such as a disability. Although I don't really feel right about the word disability, because the things that I have seen people in wheelchairs, or with prosthetic arms, things like that do....I almost want to call them re-abilities. Except for that sounds really stupid. But you get my drift.
So, in the coming days I will be posting videos on my twitter feed, @thekayakmom, and maybe on here as well as soon as I can figure out exactly how that works.
Please join me on my journey. I want to help ALL adults learn how to paddle, to step out of their comfort zones. I want to show folks that you can be a "born-again athlete," and that even though you might be flabby and out of shape today, you're not destined to be that way. I want them to learn to drink from this veritable fountain of youth.
It's here for the taking...
Til the next time!!!
TKM
No comments:
Post a Comment