It's not my intention this early morning to be melancholy, but I'm feeling reflective and I thought I'd share.
You know, I often see friends from high school and college on facebook who are going through the death of a parent. I have a different perspective than most people my age, however. My Daddy died when I was six, and my mom killed herself when I was 18 years old. It's been forever since I had parents, and I feel envious of those who had theirs as they were doing their real growing up. I often tell friends how fortunate they have been to have their parents around for such a long time. It truly is a gift.
I want to take a moment to thank my parents for making me the woman that I am.
Daddy, I don't really remember that much about you. I remember that when we moved to the new house, you would put Linda and I in the tub with you for our baths, and then tell us not to turn around. Those were innocent days, and that thought makes me giggle. I remember putting my hand in your BOAC bag once when you got home from a business trip and cutting my hand on your razor. I remember you singing "Oh what a beautiful morning" and "Here she comes, Miss America" to me. I still have the little iron you gave me, and the Tonka Volkswagen that you gave each of us for your last Christmas. I remember how much you loved Frank Sinatra and I am grateful you named me after Nancy Sinatra. That's something we share. As Steven was growing up he heard his share of Sinatra in your memory. I am proud to say he knows Sinatra's voice. You died when I was so young, and I struggle to remember you. But I will never forget you, and my son has your blue eyes..
Mom, it took me a long time to understand why you did what you did.I have learned that the disease is cruel. But I thank you for forcing me to take piano lessons, which I came to love. And I remember your guiding principals of "you're never lost as long as you have a mouth (pre-GPS)" and "where there's a will, there's a way." It probably took me a while to embrace the second one, but I'm all over it now. I really admire you, and I wish I could tell you that. It couldn't have been easy to raise 5 kids, and keep them out of trouble. Lol. And I'm doing my best to raise a son who will be a healthy and productive member of society.
I have always told Steven about both of you, and what and who you were.
So, in closing, I love you both very much. But I miss you even more.
To my internet friends, appreciate your parents and your family. You don't know how truly lucky you are to have them.
Til next time..
TKM
No comments:
Post a Comment